The Chapel is a Grade II listed building designed by notable architect Major Rohde Hawkins that dates back to between 1864-1866. Hawkins is also responsible for the Royal Victoria Patriotic Building located on the same site. The chapel is full of character and historical interest, constructed from yellow brick with stone dressings and a slate roof. It forms part of the Royal Victoria Patriotic Building listing.
The property was split into two office accommodation suites and had undergone significant alteration during its original conversion into commercial premises in the early 1980s.
Our client obtained Planning Permission and Listed Buildings Consent in September 2018 for refurbishment to remove the insensitive modern interventions and better reveal the original fabric of the building. The original windows had previously been replaced with plastic so these were all removed and replaced with diamond cut lead windows with an element of coloured glass in each (the two all-stained-glass windows being the front feature rose window and the window on the side elevation above the main refurbished office entrance).
Extension and refurbishment of the existing office suite of a Grade II Listed Chapel.
All Images Copyright: Warick Bookman
Our Role – Development & Project Management
Managing the project through to completion, which comprised:-
- Selection and appointment of the professional team
- Securing the required planning condition discharge notices
- Working up a detailed design
- Preparation of the cost plan
- Negotiation of the contract, as the client had already been out to tender
- Appointment of the contractor
- Preparation and issue of the building contract documents
- Monitoring the build contract and professional team
- Site inspections
- Contract administration
- Issue of practical completion
- Managing tenants
- Advising on service charge
- Internal refurbishment of office suite 1, including replacement of windows
- Extension to the existing mezzanine at third floor level
- Design and installation of MEP works
- External stonework cleaning and repairs, as well as roof repairs to the whole building